Monday, November 30, 2009

Coco's Harvest Pumpkin Pie

Have you ever been to Coco's Restaurant and try their Harvest Pie? Well, I have and I LOVE it! Anyway, this year's thanksgiving I didn't buy enough ingredients for my pumpkin cheesecake pie and had two extra pie crusts, so I searched for a copycat recipe of Coco's Harvest Pie and stumbled onto this no bake recipe. It has two layers, the bottom layer is a pumpkin mousse and the top is one like pumpkin pie.


Ingredients 
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon milk or half and half
1 tablespoon sugar
1½ cups thawed Cool Whip
1 Keebler Ready Graham Cracker Crust
1 cup cold milk
2 boxes (4-serving size each) instant vanilla pudding
3 cups canned pumpkin
1 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (substitute: 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves, if pumpkin pie spice is not available)



Directions
Pumpkin Mousse Layer
Beat cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of milk (or half and half) and sugar in a large bowl with a wire whisk until smooth. Gently stir in Cool Whip and 1 cup of canned pumpkin (or however many spoonfuls of pumpkin to this mixture if you'd like a more mousselike layer.) Spread on bottom of pie crust.


Pumpkin Layer
Pour 1 cup of milk into bowl. Add 2 boxes of pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk for one to two minutes. Mixture will be thick. Stir in 2 cups of canned pumpkin. Add all the spices with a wire whisk. Mix well. Spread over the cream cheese layer. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or until set. Garnish as desired. Store leftover pie in refrigerator. 


When I made this recipe, I had enough of the pumpkin mousse layer for two pies. See how much this recipe yields for you. After making these pies the recipe says to refrigerate for at least 4 hours, I found that it may be easier to keep in the freezer, to make it more thick and less runny. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I think you have this backwards. The first layer is the pumpkin pie and the second is the mousse that goes on top. I just ordered one last night when I celebrated the holiday early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been making this pie for 3 years now. I get the best compliments every time. This is the only Harvest Pie I've seen on the Internet that you don't have to bake. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your absolutely correct. I used to work for Cocos for many years. The rugular pumpkin layer is on the bottom and the pumpkin chiffon on the top and then topped with whip cream and pumpkin pie spice sprinkled over the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know how accurate the recipe above is?

      Delete
    2. I’ve been buying the Cocos pie from 1976 till 2016. Price more than doubled. When I found this recipe, I’ve been making it since 2016. In fact, just had another slice from our Thanksgiving dinner. Taste even better than Cocos!

      Delete
  4. Coco’s Harvest Pie also doesn’t have a Graham Cracker Crust - it’s a regular pie crust. I also agree that the layers are upside down in the recipe, noted. The more dense pumpkin layer is on the bottom. However, I’m going to give it a try, with a couple modifications, and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you know if the harvest pie has ever been a bake recipe?

      Delete